On January of 1979 The Royal Winnipeg Rifles, Queens Own Cameron Highlanders, 402 Air Squadron Bears, Fort Garry Horse members of the local DND military reserve units, who were playing exhibition games up to that point, decided to make it official and begun to play within the rules of a League. The Winnipeg Reserves Hockey Association was born.
After many years as a Military League with some name changes (Canadian Forces Reserve Hockey League, Winnipeg Hockey League) along with some new rules, 1992 saw the first year of the Winnipeg Central Hockey League.
There was also a brief amalgamation with the River City Hockey League in 2002, who had operated for approximately 4 years. We were then known as the River City Central Hockey League. This partnership ended the following season and reverted back to the present day Winnipeg Central Hockey League.
Our 43rd season is now upon us, and we have seen some great teams join our League, a number of them are still here to this day. Currently the 402 Bears lead the League with the most Championships at 7.
The WCHL has a long and outstanding reputation in the City of Winnipeg as a premier adult recreational league. We provide a non-contact, slap shot game, and have hosted over 100 teams and thousands of players.
These days the WCHL endeavors to offers, everything that an adult hockey League needs.
- Our affiliation with the CARHA (carhahockey.ca) allows us to offer teams on an individual basis, some basic health coverage. If teams choose to have it.
- Our seasons run approximately 32 Games.
- Season starts in October and runs to end of February, with playoffs in March.
- Playoffs are 2 best of 3 series and final best of 5 series. To a maximum of 11 games.
- Qualified officials and timekeeper each game.
- Official reports, standings, etc.
- Individual prizes & awards. (league finalists)
- Something that is unique to our League, is the fact that we play using ice across the City. Teams have an opportunity, to book ice in their neighborhood.
- We also provide ice for teams that do not own ice contracts.
- Over the years we have managed to have no games, starting later than 10:00 pm.
- We try to keep everyone competitive with each other, by seeding teams in proper caliber.
We hope for the opportunity to make the WCHL your League, and your place for adult hockey.